What is the best treatment for bad breath?
At Family Dentistry of Caledonia, we serve Caledonia, Michigan, area patients and are proud to offer comprehensive dental services to patients of all ages. When we meet with patients concerned about their oral health, we often hear a lot about persistent bad breath. Those seeking treatment for bad breath, also known as halitosis, will want to talk to Drs. Gary Scott and Allyson M. Grove about their goals to get a proper diagnosis and discuss effective halitosis treatment.
What is halitosis, and what causes it?
Halitosis is the medical term for bad breath, which can be an embarrassing and frustrating problem for many people. It can be diagnosed even if temporary, but many patients who approach our team often are troubled by persistent, chronic bad breath. When this happens, we will evaluate the situation further and provide treatment options based on the cause.
There are various causes of halitosis, including:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Gum disease
- Smoking and tobacco use
- Dry mouth
- Underlying health conditions
Once our team has found the cause of halitosis, we can discuss treatment.
How is halitosis treated?
There is no “cure” for bad breath, per se, but when diagnosed, we can provide some helpful treatments, including:
- Lifestyle changes. This may include improving oral hygiene habits, quitting smoking or tobacco use, and drinking more water to combat dry mouth.
- Professional dental cleanings. Our hygienists can thoroughly clean both the teeth and gum tissues to remove plaque or tartar buildup that might be contributing to bad breath.
- Treating underlying health conditions. In some cases, halitosis may be a symptom of a more serious underlying health condition. Our team will work with patients to address and treat underlying health concerns that may be causing the bad breath.
- Mouthwash and other products. There are various types of mouthwash, toothpaste, and other oral care products specifically designed to combat bad breath.
Request time to speak to Drs. Gary Scott and Allyson M. Grove today!
If you reside in the area of Caledonia, MI, and are interested in finding a treatment for bad breath, call our team at Family Dentistry of Caledonia at (616) 899-4486, to request an appointment at our dental practice, conveniently located at 9021 North Rodgers Court SE, Suite E. We proudly serve patients in Freeport, Alto, Hastings, Kentwood, Cutlerville, Grand Rapids, and Middleville, MI.